Enjoy the treasures that this day offers you!

Welcome

Welcome to Lisa for TESOL! I welcome constructive criticism and especially innovative references!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Journal #13 Second Life

Second Life is certainly inventive and is practice for eye-hand coordination. The occasional conversation that might occur is not going to be deep, thoughtful, inventive, or -in my extremely humble opinion- useful. I would never use this in class. I would only suggest this as an out of class practice, and have students report on a regular journal or blog if they made a good contact. I think that Voice thread is far more community oriented and beneficial for language practice if one requires visuals.

4 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    I agree with you. I would also suggest "second life" only for an out of class activity. I think it can be time consuming to find a good contact. I would probably introduce it as a fun and interactive way for optional practice from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially for video game fanatics. It might be a comfortable venue for those folks to locate new friends and try a bit of English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting thoughts Lisa, I agreed with you before but I'm not so sure now. I would like the chance to visit where I might practice French or Spanish to experience what kind of communication practice one might get. It's not exactly the same as Voice Thread, but if there is a microphone you can speak normally with someone rather than IM. This could be a potentially good way of getting at least practice with oral communication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there is a VoIP component, it might be interesting for those really into video games. If students expressed an interest, I would go along.

    ReplyDelete